Saturday, December 24, 2011

The mystery WD Elements USB 3.0

The mystery WD Elements USB 3.0

WD Elements USB 3.0 or WD Elements SE USB 3.0 ?


WD Elements USB 2.0: OK TO BUY!!!
WD Elements USB 3.0: No SATA! Do not buy!

WD Elements SE USB 3.0: No SATA! Do not buy!!





Recently I have receive feedback from our readers that:
WD Elements 2.5" USB3 is also USB-native. (not Elements SE).

I was quite shocked! Maybe WD themselves have been keeping an eye on this blog entry I wrote some months ago when I complained that I can't get a SATA hdd out of the WD Elements SE edition Portable drive. 

What happened? Is WD going sneaky again releasing WD Elements non "SE" edition when inside is USB native drive? 

I decided to visit the shops investigate this new mystery drive:.



I look around the shops but can only find WD Elements SE 3.0 1TB, one look at them I am very sure that they are native USB. They are shorter and lack the removable USB PCB board.


Watch unboxing video here:



The following is the comparison of the original WD Elements (left) and the new WD Elements SE 3.0 (right)
The usb native drives are smaller and have a different connector.




On further inspection there are indeed WD Elements USB 3.0 drive as indicated by the instruction manual!!
I will find out more about this mystery WD Elements USB 3.0 and keep everyone updated!



Spot the difference!
Here's the comparison.

WD Elements USB 2.0: OK TO BUY!!!
WD Elements USB 3.0: No SATA! Do not buy!
WD Elements SE USB 3.0: No SATA! Do not buy!!


Disassembly of the WD Elements SE USB 3.0 reveals a WD10TMVW hard disk drive

Video here:



Pictures here:








1 comment:

Gadget

This content is not yet available over encrypted connections.