List of USB drive that are SATA
Using WD Elements drive in PS3.
I have many queries from readers of this blog, here are some of their questions:
Taking out a WD Elements Portable 2.5" drive to use in PS3?
Taking out a WD Elements Portable 2.5" drive to use internally in a laptop? .... etc..
The answer is:
Some drives are usable... and some drives are not usable...
So.. this post is about answering ....how to find out which one is usable or which one is not?????
You may have read in one of my previous post that many of the newer Second Edition drives are no longer SATA and therefore cannot be used.
Link to my post: http://bychaw.blogspot.com/2011/04/wd-elements-se-is-usb-native-hdd.html
But some drives can be used.. as long as they are sata!
SEAGATE freeagent goflex ultra portable drive 1 TB hDD has SATA interface, WARNING : height of internal HDD is 12mm, so it wont fit in laptop as regular laptop HDD is 9mm in height.
Because we are buying a External USB drive, disassemble the external casing and take the disk drive to install it somewhere else.... like in a laptop.. it's quite difficult to tell what is inside the drive before disassembly..
To tell before opening your disk you can see it's length.
USB only is shorter due to the lack of SATA to USB adaptor.
SATA drives are longer @ 5"
So here's a list and the answer to the questions:
Approved!! (Yes )
- WD Elements (Not the "SE" Version, typically 500GB or smaller) USB 2.0 only
- Seagate Freeagent GoFlex USB 2.0 & USB3.0 versions (Only 500GB or Smaller!)
- Verbatim Store 'n' Go USB3.0
- Imation M100 500/640/750 GB Portable Hard Drive 2.5 Inch USB Powered Contains Toshiba HDD (Thanks Vin! - See comments for more details)
- TOSHIBA CANVIO BASICS 750GB USB 2.0 (Thanks Vin! - See comments for more details)
Not approved (No)
- WD Elements SE ( Typically 500GB or bigger) USB2.0 & USB3.0
- WD Elements USB3.0
- WD My Passport Essential, MyPassport Essential SE
- Seagate Freeagent GoFlex USB3.0 1 TB version (Can't fit in laptop!)
General Tips about buying usable drives:
Native USB Drives are shorter because they lack the SATA to USB converters: (Do not buy shorter drives!)
Usable drives are about 5" long or around 12-13cm tall.
If you find out other brands/drive that are useable or not userable, I would like to hear from you as I will like to see this list expanded!